I also did something I rarely do: posted a photo of the painting on Facebook. I did that to say that it would hang in the BR show. What a surprise when someone contacted me through Facebook and said she wanted the painting. What?
Wait! I can’t sell the painting. It’s in a show, I explained. I also explained that she had two options purchase the painting after the show begins or I could make another. (Why not?)
She decided it didn’t matter. She wanted one of my magnolia paintings. I decided that I’d make another. And it’s a good thing because the one in the show sold on opening night. I can’t believe it. Really. That easily?
So I took care of the magnolia at the Swamp, and began another. Thinking I’d replicated the first one, I began sewing the canvas background. After it was finished, I had a strange feeling. Looking back at pictures of the first, I realized that this one was too dark. Grrr! It was an easy fix but took some time. But, I have quite a lot of green scrap fabric.
The next part would be
easy, because I have a magnolia pattern. I was smart to make it and to put it in my pattern binder. (I have one that has all the patterns I’ve made.) I spent most of a day looking for it. I asked Richard to help. He’s “the finder of all things.” But not my binders. (There are a few with purchased patterns, quilting designs, etc.) Nope. Not one binder did we find.
“The finder of all things” is still looking. I simply made a new pattern. The painting is finished, though it remains on the long-arm, waiting for me to release it. I want to be sure it’s fully dry, or cured. I’ll be shipping this one: something that makes me quite nervous.
My biggest fear is that I’ll put on too much color and not be able to take it off. Repainting doesn’t always work. Oils tend to pick up the oil below and in no time, everything is muddy. Never the look I want. Plus, I added a hint of blush pink to highlight the areas that are foreground. Muddy colors quickly make the hightlights also look muddy. It’s a tricky play.